About 150 yrs ago, in 1851, Gandhi hospital was stared initially as an Infirmary of 3 wards, developed into a Cantonment Hospital with 95 beds in 1900. It has progressed to King Edward Memorial Hospital in 1913 and has grown into a teaching hospital in 1958 for Gandhi Medical College with present bed strength of 1200.
Presently it is a premier institution of Post-doctoral medical education and training which is fulfilling the medical and health requirements of not only twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad but also the surrounding districts.
Gandhi hospital has distinction of being the first open heart surgery centre of the combined state of Andhra Pradesh and the first to have Cath Lab facilities for training of DM cardiology students. Gandhi Medical College was established in 1954 and was recognised by MCI in 1956.